William Goodall was born on 6th June 1947 in Newmarket, Suffolk
to Mary Robson, who had been widowed in 1946. She had moved south
from Aberdeenshire to be a domestic servant to the Cunliff family
in Newmarket and was already pregnant by William Milton Glass
(died 15th June 1990), a married man. Ian was adopted, in September
1947, by Bill and Moira Goodall
who lived in Woodford Green, Essex. Ian has a sister, Moira
1st June 1949. The family lived in Woodford Green until 1953 when
Dad's job, as an excise officer, took them to Bonahaven (Bunnahabhain
in gaelic) on the Isle of Islay, off the west coast of Scotland.
Ian went to primary school in the village, a single classroom
with one teacher (Miss Lena Ramsay) and up to 12 pupils of various
ages including Iain MacDougall who has remained a friend. After
attending Bowmore Secondary School for a year and a half, the
family moved to "Primrose Bank", Haughmill Lane, Windygates
(on the mainland!) in 1960.
Ian went to
High School in Fife, where he was in Balgonie House and played
rugby and cricket, captaining the 4th 15 and 2nd 11 respectively.
Obtaining 5 'Highers' at the age of 15, Ian won a university
scholarship (of £550pa when the grant was £330pa)
from Automotive Products. Ian did a pre-university apprenticeship
in Leamington Spa then went to St Andrews University (Queens
College, Dundee) in 1965 to read Mechanical Engineering.
Ian met Sheila in 1966.
The rest is history as they say.
In 1996, whilst undertaking
research into his roots, Ian discovered, and met for the first
time in April 1996, a half-brother, Richard Ashley (born 2nd
July 1948) who now lives in Honley with his wife Cate. Richard's
father, Rick, married Mary Robson (born 15th May 1926; died 30th
September 1996) in 1948. Ian also has another half-brother and
half-sisters, the children of William Glass, including Sheila
Garden who lives in Aberdeen.